Black - Organic Cotton Stretch Poplin – 1/2 yard
$ 7.99 CAD
Woven with twice the yarn as other shirting-weight cottons, this GOTS-certified organic poplin is soft to the touch while retaining a beautiful, crip & floaty drape. It's one of my favourite fabrics for sewing statement sleeves, boxy shirtdresses and classic button-ups, with a bit of stretch for comfort thrown in.
- Colour: Black
- Tone: Neutral
- Fabric Content: 97% cotton, 3% spandex
- Stretch percentage: 20% widthwise stretch
- Opacity: Mostly opaque – some shadow will show when held up to direct light, as with all white fabrics
- Drape: Crisp and floaty
- Weight: Lightweight, 130 gsm / 3.8 oz
- Width: 57”
- Source: Deadstock, by way of the NYC garment district
- Care: Be sure to prewash, as cotton will shrink! Wash on cool, tumble dry on permanent press (or lower) and iron with a low-to-medium iron. Hang to dry to better protect the spandex content of your finished garment.
*We recommend taking a screenshot of this page to capture the care instructions, as listings often disappear when fabric goes out of stock!
🌱Sustainability: Our organic poplin is made with 97% GOTS-certified organic cotton.
Non-organic cotton production is responsible for 25% of the world’s insecticide use and more than 10% of pesticide use – pretty staggering for just one crop. Traditional cotton is also incredibly water-hungry – it takes 20,000 litres of water to produce just 2 pounds of cotton. Organic cotton uses (on average) 30% less water – reserving more natural resources for the inhabitants of the often water-challenged countries where cotton is harvested.
- Paper Theory Olya Shirt
- Style Arc Juliet Shirt
- BurdaStyle Shirtdress 03/2016 #111
- Seamwork Hayden
Need some inspiration? Check out our cotton moodboard.
(Sold by the 1/2 yard. Fabric will be cut in a continuous piece - order 1 for 1/2 yard, 2 for 1 yard, 3 for 1.5 yards, and so on.)